How Will My Business Benefit From Being Breastfeeding Friendly?
The Breastfeeding Friendly Award is a wonderful advertisement for your business. Thousands of mums come through our service and we’ll let them know about all the Breastfeeding Venues listed on our website, and highlight them on our social media platforms.
Comfortable – Breastfeeding mothers report that they feel positive about the Breastfeeding Friendly accredited places and may choose to visit your venue because they feel more comfortable feeding their babies there.
Caring – Businesses that support breastfeeding will be seen as caring about the community they serve. Many mothers decide to unnecessarily stop breastfeeding because they feel too embarrassed or unable to feed their baby outside the house.
Recommended – Mothers may recommend your business to friends as somewhere calm and relaxing to feed their own babies. They may also return to your business with their family and friends when they are no longer breastfeeding.
How can I achieve the Breastfeeding Friendly Award?
You can achieve the Breastfeeding Friendly Award if you:
- Advertise that breastfeeding mothers are welcome to breastfeed on your premises.
- Offer support to breastfeeding women as appropriate.
- Have a written policy supporting breastfeeding, which is communicated to all staff.
- Train staff so that they make breastfeeding mothers welcome and understand their needs.
- Have a policy that supports your employees should they wish to continue breastfeeding after they return to work.
- Have excellent hygiene standards in your premises.
Will I need to provide private facilities?
A breastfeeding/family room that could be made available would be ideal, however we appreciate that not all premises have the additional space to provide this facility. We do ask that nappy changing and hand washing facilities are available, ideally on site or at least close by.
The most important thing is that mothers need to confident that they can feed without the risk of criticism from staff or other customers.
How can I support a breastfeeding mother?
- Displaying clearly the message that breastfeeding is welcome on your premises (we will provide this)
- Asking the breastfeeding mother whether she requires assistance and somewhere comfortable to sit.
- If private facilities are available let her know should she prefer privacy (a toilet cubicle is not appropriate)
- Defend and support a breastfeeding mother in the event of any complaints.
Breastfeeding Friendly Welcome Pack
If you decide to sign up and become a Breastfeeding Friendly Venue you will receive a welcome pack from Breastfeeding Together with key information and promotional items. Breastfeeding Together will provide you with information, advice and support and be able to answer any questions you may have.
For more information please email firstname.lastname@example.org or ring 01942 777903
Thank you for your support in making Wigan borough a more breastfeeding friendly place
Sign up your business to be Breastfeeding Friendly today using the form below